Thinking about becoming a Puppet Certified Professional? Review the exam details here, and if you don’t find what you need, check out the Certification FAQ.
Although there are no formal prerequisites, before you take the exam, make sure that you:
- Understand how to administer system infrastructure by using Puppet IT automation software and develop basic modules, including data separation and external data sources.
- Understand the relevant Puppet documentation, accepted practices as documented in the Puppet Language Style Guide, and maintenance of relevant OS components.
- Complete the Getting Started With Puppet and Puppet Practitioner courses or have the equivalent experience.
To become a Puppet Certified Professional, you must pass an online technical certification exam offered worldwide through our certification partner QuestionMark.
You can register for the exam here.
- Exam name: Puppet 207 — Puppet Certified Professional Exam
- Format: Computer-based exam composed of 60 multiple-choice questions. Proctored online by QuestionMark.
- Time: 90 minutes
- Cost: $200 USD
- Product versions tested: Open source Puppet 6.16.0 or later and Puppet Enterprise 2019.8 or later
- Languages offered: English only
Achieving a passing score on the exam awards you the Puppet Professional 2019 Certification.
Exam content and objectives
- Describe classification strategies.
- Describe multiple ways to set class parameters and variables.
- Describe how to troubleshoot Puppet code.
- Describe how to troubleshoot Core Puppet platform components.
- Describe how to find and use modules from Puppet Forge.
- Demonstrate knowledge of module structure.
- Describe how to design and deploy roles and profiles.
- Identify best practices for module testing.
- Describe resource abstraction.
- Demonstrate an understanding of idempotence.
- Describe how to use Puppet facts.
- Describe the Puppet agent run lifecycle.
- Describe how to use Puppet language constructs.
- Describe how Hiera provides data.
- Describe how to specify dependencies in Puppet code.
- Describe how to use PuppetDB data.
Orchestration and Tasks
- Describe how to execute Bolt and Orchestrator actions.
- Describe how to create a Puppet Task.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Puppet environments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of code deployment strategies.
- Describe the Puppet infrastructure architecture.
- Identify the integration points of core Puppet platform components.
- Describe how to configure open source Puppet and Puppet Enterprise.
- Demonstrate Puppet reporting capabilities.
Preparing for the exam
Before taking the exam:
What to expect on exam day
Before the exam, you must review and accept the Candidate Rules Agreement and accept the Confidentiality Terms. By accepting the Confidentiality Terms, you are legally prohibited from disclosing information related to the exam, its questions, or any content that might be related to the Puppet certification exam. This is to protect the integrity and validity of the Puppet certification exam and its awarded certifications.
When you log in for your exam appointment, you must:
- Show one piece of government-issued photo ID.
- Be alone in the room.
- Be connected to a power source.
- Keep your webcam, speakers, and microphone on throughout the exam.
- Have a clear desk and work area.
And, the following is not allowed in the testing area:
- Personal items, such as mobile phones, laptops, pagers, and notes.
- Dual monitors.
- Leaving your seat.
You will not have access to Puppet during the exam.
You receive your score immediately, and if you pass, you can save or print your certificate right away.
Still have questions? Check out the Certification FAQ or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.