DevOps is a set of principles and practices — both technical and cultural — that can help organizations deploy better software, faster. While it is not a fixed methodology, automation and a collaborative culture are the foundation for accepted DevOps practices, which include:
- Measuring the things that have an impact on your organization’s goals
- Making those measurements visible to everyone
- Using a shared set of software development tools and best practices
- Including all teams in the software delivery process from planning to production
- Automating the development pipeline and removing bottlenecks for faster delivery
In this blog post, Puppet's chief technical strategist, Nigel Kersten, lays out the changes in technology & business that have lead to DevOps, and the fundamental ideas of this movement.