Our research for the 2018 State of DevOps Report identified the stages in a DevOps evolution — and five foundational practices that have a big impact on the entire journey:
- Reusing deployment patterns.
- Using a configuration management tool.
- Allowing a team to configure monitoring and alerting for the service it operates.
- Reusing testing patterns.
- Contributing improvements to other teams' tooling.
If you haven’t adopted all of these foundational practices, we invite you to download this paper for a deep dive into each one. Andi Mann, chief technology advocate at Splunk and co-author of the 2018 State of DevOps Report, wrote it to help you prioritize and get started.
If you start small and build your practice now, you may very well become one of those highly evolved organizations you hear about at all the conferences.