Impact analysis is a Continuous Delivery for Puppet Enterprise (PE) tool that lets you see the potential impact that new Puppet code will have on your PE-managed infrastructure, even before the new code is merged. When you add impact analysis to a control repo's pipeline, Continuous Delivery for PE automatically generates a report on every proposed code change to that control repo.
In order to use impact analysis, you must install the
puppetlabs-cd4pe module and make a classification update.
Impact analysis requires you to install the
puppetlabs-cd4pe module and its dependent modules.
puppetlabs-cd4pe module must be used with six
dependent modules, plus a module to manage job hardware. The modules and their
required versions are as follows:
||3.1.0 or later in the 3.x series|
||4.19.0 or later|
||0.5.0 or later|
||0.9.3 or later|
||2.1.0 or later|
||4.4.1 or later|
||1.1.0 or later|
||1.0.0 or later|
Add the modules listed above to the Puppetfile
for each environment against which your compilers compile catalogs.
A sample Puppetfile entry:
mod 'puppetlabs-cd4pe', '3.2.1' # Requirements for cd4pe mod 'puppetlabs-stdlib', '7.1.0' mod 'puppetlabs-puppet_authorization', '0.5.1' mod 'puppetlabs-hocon', '1.1.0' mod 'puppetlabs-concat', '7.0.2' mod 'puppetlabs-apt', '8.0.2' mod 'puppetlabs-translate', '2.2.0' mod 'puppetlabs-cd4pe_jobs', '1.5.0'
Deploy the updated code to the relevant environments by running
puppet code deploy <ENVIRONMENT>.Remember: Continuous Delivery for PE performs this step for you if you've configured it to deploy code changes automatically to the relevant environments.
puppetlabs-cdpe and its dependencies are
deployed, you must update classification of your nodes.
- In the PE console, click Node groups (or Classification in PE versions prior to 2019.8.1) and open the PE Infrastructure group.
- Select the PE Master group and click Classes (or Configuration in PE versions prior to 2019.8.1).
In the Add new class field, select
cd4pe::impact_analysis and click Add
class, then commit your change.
If you don't find cd4pe::impact_analysis in the class list, click Refresh to update class definitions.
Run Puppet on the nodes in the PE
Important: This Puppet run restarts the
Set the maximum number of concurrent node catalog compiles allowed for each
workspace. By default, 10 concurrent catalog compilations are allowed.
Adjust this setting to manage the catalog compilation load placed on a PE instance by Continuous Delivery for PE impact analysis report generation.
- In the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI, click Settings.
- Click Puppet Enterprise and locate the PE instance you've configured to use impact analysis. Click Edit credentials.
- Locate the Impact analysis credentials section of the window. In the Max concurrent catalog compiles field, set the number of catalog compilations that are allowed to run simultaneously on this PE instance.
- Click Save changes.