Puppetize PDX travel guide: things to do, eat & drink
Portland provides the perfect backdrop for this year’s Puppetize PDX You probably know that the Puppetize PDX schedule is jam packed with great speakers excited to share their expertise — so today, we also wanted to call out the unsung hero of Puppetize PDX: the city of Portland itself. Portland (or PDX as it’s affectionately referred to by many locals) has something special to offer almost any visitor.
Watch this video highlighting the best things to see, eat, and drink within walking distance of Puppetize PDX! (The full list of places is detailed further down.)
To make it easier to plan your trip, here are all the places featured in the video.
We’ve also plotted the places on this handy map.
- Deadstock Coffee Roasters - Sneaker-themed coffee shop featuring hi-tops latte art.
- Stumptown Coffee Roasters - The OG Portland coffee roaster.
- Barista - Coffee in the heart of the Pearl, a lively neighborhood adjacent to Downtown.
- Public Domain - Independent roastery popular in the tech startup scene.
- Kiosko - A marvelous coffee shop in the middle of the park. (Recommended by technical writer, Suzie Baunsgard)
Books, books, books!
- Powell’s Books - World’s largest independent bookstore. The flagship store takes up an entire city block.
- Blue Star Donuts - Donuts that made the cover of Bon Appétit Magazine!
- Voodoo Doughnut - The OG of the Portland donut scene. Expect lines and weird donuts.
- Tom McCall Waterfront Park - Stroll alongside the Willamette (rhymes with “damn it”) River.
- Mills End Park - Briefly admire the smallest park in the world (per Guinness Book of Records).
Classic arcade games
- Ground Kontrol - 90 of the best arcade games from the ‘70s through the '00s.
- Von Ebert Brewing Pearl - Craft brewery specializing in IPA variants and German-inspired lagers.
- Rogue Pearl Public House - Known for their collaborations like Voodoo Donut beer and a beard yeast beer.
- 10 Barrel Brewing Portland - 20 taps and a rooftop patio with great views of the city.
- Deschutes Brewery Portland Public House - Craft brewery founded in Bend, Oregon.
- Pine Street Market - A food hall that contains, among others, famed ice cream maker Salt & Straw's sole soft-serve outpost, Wiz Bang Bar and Ramen by Tokyo-based Marukin.
- Mother's Bistro & Bar - Traditional homemade favorites refined with classical cooking techniques, so they’re like mom’s cooking, only a bit better. Speaker, David Alexander says that it's one of his favorite reasons to love Portland.
*Arwa Jumkawala hearts PDX and is the event manager for Puppetize PDX.* ### Learn more * Register for [Puppetize PDX](https://puppet.com/puppetize). * Read the [marathon training plan](https://pup.pt/pdxmarathon) and register.