Learning Puppet VM: Easier Updates, Bug Fixes & More
A new version of the Learning Puppet VM has hit the shelves! If you haven't already downloaded the Learning VM, get yours here.
A major goal of this release was to build the foundation we’ll need to get content updates out to users more frequently and easily. Now you can update quest content, tests, and tools in just seconds by entering a single command on the VM, instead of downloading the entire VM again. To get the newest Learning VM content, download the "LATEST" version of the Learning VM Guide. (EDIT: The new version of the Learning VM no longer uses a PDF Quest Guide. On downloading the VM, follow the instructions in the readme document to get started.)
This change lets us iterate on quest content, independent of the VM itself. Now we’ll be able to release new content more frequently, and respond more quickly to your feedback.
We have improved test coverage for the VM, and several issues that users pointed out to us have been fixed. Here are the major issues and fixes:
- High load averages under certain circumstances. This has been fixed by caching the results of the tests. Thanks to Evan Langlois for his contributions in this regard.
- Errors and inconsistencies in the content. Many thanks to all the users who wrote in with suggestions, and special thanks to Carl Zetie for his comments and help.
- Security updates for Shellshock.
- Fixed a quest tool issue that caused inconvenience. Now the quest tool no longer requires exact matches of paths in commands in order to register certain tasks as complete.
- Fixed an issue with improperly cached Forge modules.
We now have a public issue tracker for the Learning VM. Please report issues in the tracker, and thanks in advance!
The repository containing quest content is also public. Fork courseware-lvm now, and send us your pull requests! :)
We’re going to continue developing and improving the Learning VM. Over time, you’ll see new quests, a rewrite of existing quests, and more frequent content updates. We’re happy to say the quest-based approach to learning has been hugely successful and popular, and we want to say a HUGE thank-you to everyone who has offered comments, suggestions, issues, and compliments.
Carthik Sharma is a technical instructor at Puppet Labs.
- Haven't downloaded the Learning VM yet? It's right here.
- If you have already downloaded the Learning VM, you can now update the content quickly, without having to re-download the entire VM. Just download the "LATEST" version of the Learning VM Guide, and you'll find the PDF version of the quest guide in the "_site" directory.
- There are so many avenues for learning Puppet — check them out!
- You can take private or public Puppet training, if you like learning in a classroom environment. Or learn online at your own pace, with the free resources in the Puppet Workshop.
- Have you tried Puppet Enterprise yet? You can download and use it for free on 10 nodes.