How to upgrade from Puppet Enterprise 3.x to 2016.4 — in video
If you haven’t looked at Puppet Enterprise lately, be prepared to be impressed. New orchestration, visualization and reporting, and role-based access control capabilities are just some of the highlights we’ve added to Puppet Enterprise since we overhauled the GUI and platform foundations in mid-2015.
If you’re running an existing Puppet infrastructure, you probably have questions about how to upgrade safely and quickly. We’ve distilled the process down to four main steps, with how-to videos to walk you through the process at each step.
- First, you’ll need to review your classification rules.
- Then prepare your Puppet code base.
- Once your modules are good to go, upgrade or migrate your server-side components.
- Lastly, get your agents upgraded with a staged rollout, and you’ll be good to go.
Check out the videos below to see exactly how to upgrade your implementation from Puppet Enterprise 3.x to 2016.2.
Review your node classification strategy
Prepare your Puppet code
Upgrade your servers
Upgrade your agents
Gary Larizza is a professional services engineer at Puppet.
Michael Olson is a senior product marketing manager at Puppet.
- Check out our upgrade docs to learn about the benefits of upgrading and best practices.