The Puppet Support Lifecycle policy provides guidelines throughout the lifecycle of each version of Puppet Enterprise. Puppet produces two different release tracks – long term support and quarterly:
- Long Term Support (LTS): Release occurs every 18 months. Receives mainstream support for 24 months after launch. This track is best if you want continued security updates and full support without upgrading to Puppet on a quarterly bases.
- Quarterly: Release occurs approximately every 3 months. Mainstream support ends when the next version is released. This track is the best fit if you always want to take advantage of the latest new features and capabilities from Puppet as soon as they are available, and can commit to upgrading Puppet on a quarterly basis to remain fully supported.
Each Puppet Enterprise version, whether LTS or quarterly, is in one of three phases:
- Mainstream support: Puppet Enterprise version in this phase receive security updates, bug fixes and technical support as defined in the support plan.
- Limited support: Puppet Enterprise versions in this phase are no longer eligible for security updates and bug fixes. Customers on current support plans can access services defined in the support plan. Puppet will assist customers in upgrading to the current LTS or quarterly supported version.
- End of life (EOL): Puppet Enterprise versions in this phase are no longer eligible for anything other than "commercially reasonable" assistance from customer support. Customers in the process of upgrading to a current LTS or quarterly supported version may contact support and utilize other resources.
Puppet provides either mainstream or limited support for the versions of Puppet Enterprise listed below. All versions older than Puppet Enterprise 2015.2 are now End of life (EOL) and we encourage upgrading to the latest version.
|Puppet Enterprise Versions||Start Mainstream Support||Start Limited Support||End of life|
|PE 2016.5||December 13, 2016||TBD||TBD|
|PE 2016.4 (LTS)||October 20, 2016||October 2018||TBD|
|PE 2016.2||June 21, 2016||October 20, 2016||April 30, 2017|
|PE 2016.1||April 7, 2016||June 21, 2016||April 30, 2017|
|PE 2015.3||December 8, 2015||April 7, 2016||April 30, 2017|
|PE 2015.2||July 28, 2015||December 8, 2015||April 30, 2017|
|PE 3.8||April 28, 2015||December 31, 2016||December 31, 2016|
Projects which Puppet owns and maintains, like Facter, Puppet Agent and Server, and PuppetDB may move faster and have shorter maintenance life cycles than Puppet Enterprise. We may discontinue updates to open source versions of platform components before their Puppet end of life dates.