Digital transformation and DevOps: get real business results, faster
The term "digital transformation" is everywhere these days, from boardrooms to standup meetings, not to mention technology and business publications. And for achieving whatever digital transformation your particular business needs to provide a better customer experience, DevOps is now widely understood to howy you get there.
While there's plenty of advice for how to create DevOps processes within an organization, executives really shouldn't be poking around in the weeds of processes like continuous integration and continuous delivery. There's so much more a leader can do to move digital transformation forward — but it's not always obvious what that "more" is.
That's why we've published our new report, 2017 State of DevOps: What Every CIO Should Know. Drawing from our most recent DevOps survey, we've found that leaders play a critical role in the success of any DevOps initiative, and that organizations with the most transformational leaders also have high-performing IT teams. These teams have:
- 46 times more frequent code deployments.
- 440 times faster lead time from commit to deploy.
- 96 times faster mean time to recover from downtime.
- 5 times lower change failure rate (changes are 1/5 as likely to fail).
- Significantly more of their work automated, and much less of it is done manually.
All that adds up to much faster delivery of higher-quality software that business depends on.
You might enjoy hearing what DevOps Report co-authors Gene Kim and Nicole Forsgren have to say about the findings for CIOs in this year's State of DevOps Report:
There's a lot of good information in What Every CIO Should Know about the qualities of transformational leaders, and how to help your team achieve the high performance that is so key to any digital transformation — and to better business outcomes. Even if you're not a CIO, if you are responsible for the performance of even a single technical team, we think you'll find the insights in our report valuable for your role.
Aliza Earnshaw is the editorial director at Puppet.
- The CIO report condenses the findings of the 2017 State of DevOps Report, which is also a great read for both IT team leaders and IT practitioners.
- Puppet automation is a key component of the DevOps toolchain. If you haven't tried Puppet yet, go ahead and download our Learning VM for a hands-on introduction to how Puppet works. It's free, it's fun, and you'll learn a lot pretty quickly.