COVID-19: a note for our community
As a global company with employees, customers, community members, users and partners all over the world affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we understand how concerning this situation has become for you, for us and for the communities we live and work in. We also understand that, like us, many of you are faced with the challenge of keeping your business running so you can support your customers and keep your organizations healthy. Puppet cares and we are here for you.
Beyond ensuring we can provide ongoing support to all of our customers during these challenging times, we are also working to make it as easy as possible for you to get your questions answered quickly and to provide remote ways for you to continue to grow your skills and automate your environment in free and easy ways. In addition, we are working with our teams to help vulnerable populations during this difficult time as part of our ongoing philanthropic efforts.
For our customers and users, we are taking several measures to ensure we can continue to provide you the needed service and support during these challenging and uncertain times. We understand there may be new constraints in how you are able to access and manage your infrastructure, your capacity to do the work may change, and your infrastructure needs and requirements may change quickly as well. The Puppet team is here to support you.
- Are you a Puppet Enterprise Customer?
- Go to the Puppet Support portal.
- Are you an open source Puppet user?
- We have a new support offering for open source Puppet (OSP) users, which includes access to our OSP Support Portal. We are expanding access to the portal and making it available for free to all open source users through June 2020 and may extend that as needed given how things progress with COVID-19. Please send an email to email@example.com with subject OSP Support to request your credentials.
- Are you trying to find Puppet code to manage something?
- Visit the Forge, our online repository of reusable content, and search for the technology you're trying to automate. With over 6,000 modules available, you're sure to find something to accelerate your work.
- Looking for peer advice and conversation?
- Visit our Puppet Community Slack Channel (and be sure to use the 🆘 reaction to make your question more visible). This is a great place to go when you want to chat with others working on similar problems, or just need a little guidance. You'll find both long-time community members and Puppet engineers there.
To help reduce the further spread of COVID-19, we have moved all training activities, workshops, professional services engagements and visits to a virtual engagement, effective this week.
- Drop in to the new Ask an Expert Office Hour in Slack where you can talk directly with a Puppet expert who can answer your questions as you spin up new infrastructure. Starting this Wednesday, we will offer Ask an Expert Office Hours Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4pm SGT, 11am GMT and 4pm PDT.
- Coming soon: virtual workshops and training. Learn how to get started with Bolt — our open source, agentless orchestration tool — with this on-demand webinar. We will be offering 2-hour virtual Bolt workshops in the near future, so stay tuned!
If you are trying to quickly ramp up infrastructure and need a little brushing up on the basics, we also offer self-paced training:
- Bolt Learning Kit will introduce you to Bolt, an easy-to-use and intuitive tool for solving problems and automating system administration tasks. This class is aimed at Linux, macOS, or Windows system administrators who need to manage remote computers from a central location.
- Puppet Language Basics Learning Kit is useful for Puppet Enterprise and open source Puppet users. This course introduces the concept of declarative language and shows you how to identify and work with the different parts of Puppet language.
Free, simple and easy automation
We realize that investing in automation and learning a new tool might not be top of mind for you right now. But if you want some peace of mind that repetitive tasks are automated, we encourage you to try Bolt. It’s free, easy to download, easy to learn, and we have a lot of great resources to help you get started. Watch for a blog post next week on using Bolt to quickly automate the low hanging fruit, leaving yourself more time for the harder problems.
Our commitment to our local communities
One of Puppet’s core values is being community supported and community powered. In alignment with this, we are looking into ways we can support our local communities during this challenging time. It is important, now more than ever, to support each other and give back to our communities where the current situation is likely to cause hardship for many families.
We recognize uncertainty can be stressful. Our teams are coming together to continue supporting you and your operations while we navigate the uncertainty each of us are facing. We are all in this together and we’re here to support you so that you in turn can support your business and the customers who rely on your services. Thank you for being a part of our community.