Welcome to the Puppet 3.8 Reference Manual! Use the navigation to the left to get around.
What Is This?
For an introduction to how Puppet manages systems, see the Overview of Puppet’s Architecture.
To install Puppet 3.8, see the Puppet installation guide. For general advice on upgrading between major versions, see Upgrading Puppet.
This manual is split into several sections, which can be reached from the left sidebar. A few notable pages:
- The Puppet 3.8 Release Notes contain information about Puppet 3.8’s new features, and tracks changes from patch releases.
- The Resource Type Reference is the page where experienced Puppet users spend most of their time.
- Puppet uses its own configuration language. The Language Summary gives some context and acts as a starting point for the language reference.
- The Visual Index to the Puppet Language can help you find the reference for a piece of syntax when you know what it looks like but don’t know what it’s called.
- “Modules” explains how to organize your Puppet manifests, obtain pre-existing modules, and publish your own modules for public use.