MCollective Private Keys Visible In PuppetDB
Posted May 11, 2017
Assessed Risk Level: Medium
Versions of Puppet Enterprise prior to 2016.4.5 or 2017.2.1 failed to mark MCollective server private keys as sensitive (a feature added in Puppet 4.6), so key values could be logged and stored in PuppetDB. These releases use the sensitive data type to ensure this won’t happen anymore.
This vulnerability was found by an internal audit at Puppet.
Affected Software Versions:
- Puppet Enterprise prior to 2016.4.5
- Puppet Enterprise 2016.5.x
- Puppet Enterprise 2017.1.x
- Puppet Enterprise 2016.4.5
- Puppet Enterprise 2017.2.1