- Needed to scale up workloads and infrastructure efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Provisioning was too slow and held up developers’ work.
- ICE was mostly satisfied with open source Puppet, but relied on some workarounds.
- Expand Puppet Enterprise use from NYSE to other systems within ICE.
- 75% of ICE’s 20,000 servers are managed by Puppet Enterprise (as of March 2016).
- Increase from 300 servers per admin to 700 servers per admin.
- Provisioning dev environments reduced from 1 or 2 days to just 21 minutes.
- No workarounds needed: Puppet Enterprise “just works.”
The more we use Puppet Enterprise, the more we find we can do with it.
Top outcomes of using Puppet Enterprise
- Server provisioning is now 144 times faster, giving developers more time for actual development work.
- Admin team is more productive than ever, with each admin able to manage more than double the number of servers possible before Puppet.
- Security updates are fast and consistent, and auditors are happy because Puppet Enterprise enforces consistency.