- Many environments to build and manage with a small, dedicated team.
- Puppet Enterprise
- LV= can ship faster with fewer failures.
Since implementing Puppet Enterprise, the infrastructure team is much happier. Rather than spending time making custom builds, we have everything we need in one place.
Top outcomes of using Puppet Enterprise
- Build better quality. Before Puppet, the database administration teams that manage Oracle installations were receiving builds they couldn’t use as-is, so they had to modify them, and even started writing their own scripts. Once Puppet Enterprise was brought on board, the DBA teams have been getting what they need for standard Oracle builds. Now they can move more quickly, and simply add on modules as needed.
- Improved change quality. With Puppet Enterprise, everyone, including the change management team, has confidence in the quality of changes. That’s because as changes go through the different environments – dev, test, pre-production – everyone has high confidence that these upstream environments look just like production. Problems are being spotted at the early stages, with the result that change management now identifies all production changes as low-risk, allowing them to go through quickly. Essentially, changing the production sever environment is now a non-event.
- More complete auditing. The team used to supply internal auditors with Word docus, which never answered all the auditors’ questions. The team can now share Puppet manifests, which are pretty easy for anyone to read. Auditors can see exactly how the team assures secure status, and how Puppet enforces that status.
- Few incidents. LV= hit a milestone that wouldn’t have been possible a year ago: the company had its first month without any Tier incidents. A year earlier, these high-priority incidents occurred pretty frequently, so a month without one means that the IT team enjoys greater predictability and more room to do higher-level work.