The seventh Puppet Contributor Summit will be held on Tuesday 10 October during PuppetConf 2017.
The Puppet Contributor Summit is a one-day event for the Puppet community to hack on projects, fix bugs, contribute to documentation and discuss Puppet with other community members and Puppet team members. You’ll get to immerse yourself in Puppet alongside others who understand your questions, concerns, and ideas. It’s a great way to start your PuppetConf 2017 experience.
New for this year, we'll have short talks throughout the day devoted to specific features in Puppet. You'll get a chance to hear about the feature and then work on projects related to that feature during the open spaces / open hacking portion of the day.
This event is for both existing and new contributors to Puppet, related projects, and modules. We would love to see the following people attend the Contributor Summit:
- People who submit pull requests and contribute code to our projects
- Community members working on related projects
- People who contribute to Puppet modules or their own modules to the Puppet Forge
- Community members who can answer a lot of questions about using Puppet
- Longtime Puppet users who are interested in doing more
If you are interested in attending, please register for the combined "PuppetConf + Contributor Summit" ticket. Pre-registration for the Contributor Summit and PuppetConf 2017 is required to attend.
9:00 - 10:00 Registration and light snack
10:00 - 10:10 Welcome
10:10 - 10:40 State of the platform / project developments
10:40 -10:50 Contributing Best Practices
10:50 - 11:10 Puppet Developer Kit (PDK)
11:10 - 11:20 How To Turn Your Script Into A Task
11:20 - 11:30 Easier Types and Providers with the New Resource API
11:30 - 12:00 Open Spaces Kickoff
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch
1:00 - 2:15 Open Spaces/ open hacking tables
2:15 - 2:30 Converting To Hiera 5
2:30 - 2:45 Introducing Lumogon: A new tool for inspecting & reporting on your containers
2:45 - 3:00 Internationalizing your modules
3:00 - 3:30 Afternoon Break
3:30 - 4:30 Open spaces / open hacking tables
4:30 - 5:00 Lightning talks / Closing Demos
Have you already registered? If so, here are a few things you should know.
- Hacker tables: Tables are devoted to various topics all afternoon, so bring your laptop and plan to collaborate with other people on contributions. You might even want to come prepared to work on a particular module or core Puppet component that you're interested in improving. The #puppethack channel in the Puppet Community Slack is a great place to start collaborating with others on what you’ll hack on during the event. We'll also have tables devoted to the particular features highlighted in the day's talks.
Open spaces/hacking tables kickoff: We'll start the open hacking period with short presentations, usually two to three minutes, about what you'll be hacking on throughout the day. Start thinking about it now and come prepared if you'd like to let others know what you want to work on or listen to others' ideas and join in at their table! Each table will have a laminated sign for writing the topic.