Install Remediate on offline nodes
If any of your swarm nodes are offline (do not have external connectivity), you must manually import the Puppet Remediate images in order to install the product.
Prior to installing Remediate on any offline nodes, check that you have carried out the following prerequisite tasks:
- Make sure you meet the system requirements for installing and running Remediate, and that you have received your license.
- Ensure that Docker and Docker Compose are installed on the nodes where you want to install the Remediate images. If you are installing Docker Compose on Windows, ensure that you create a new Windows environment variable called COMPOSE_CONVERT_WINDOWS_PATHS and set it to 1. This enables path conversion from Windows-style to Unix-style in volume definitions.
- Ensure that your license is added to the nodes where you want to install the Remediate images.
To install Remediate on nodes that do not have network connectivity:
On a node with internet connectivity:
Note: Skip this step if you are using your own custom Docker registry.
- Download the offline Remediate image bundle (https://storage.googleapis.com/remediate/stable/latest/offline/images.tar.gz)
- Download the offline docker-compose.yml file (https://storage.googleapis.com/remediate/stable/latest/offline/docker-compose.yml)
Optionally, you can verify the image bundle and offline
docker-compose.yml files signatures:
With each Puppet Remediate release, a digital signature is created using the private key portion of an asymmetric key. You can manually validate the signature using the public key portion of the same asymmetric key.
- Download the offline docker-compose.yml file signature and the image bundle signature, along with the public key to the same directory as your license file.
Run the following commands:
openssl dgst -sha256 -verify puppet-remediate-signing-key.pub -signature docker_compose_signature docker-compose.yml
openssl dgst -sha256 -verify puppet-remediate-signing-key.pub -signature images_signature images.tar.gz
If the signature is valid, you get the following response for each command:
- Copy the Remediate image bundle and offline docker-compose.yml file to the offline node where you want to install Remediate.
On the node where you want to install Remediate, initialize a swarm by running the
docker swarm init
Run the Docker
docker load -i images.tar.gz
Use the following command to start Remediate (replacing your-license.json with your own
docker-compose run remediate start -o --license-file ./your-license.json
To check that the containers have started
running, run this command:
The list of running containers:
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES 36139cda23ca gcr.io/puppet-discovery/pdp-go:<version> "/app/entrypoint.sh" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) 8082/tcp, 8087/tcp remediate_gopdp.1.w035aad0ifvu0ynaimxy64lcq 43709401f394 gcr.io/puppet-discovery/pd-storage:<version> "storageEntryPoint.s…" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) 5432/tcp remediate_storage.1.omv1rrd3rwhnwo3ngurgtcnxk 551b061acc98 gcr.io/puppet-discovery/licensing-api:<version> "/entrypoint.sh" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) remediate_licensing.1.kdoj7s492el77rdpc2rza3fx7 43a3568e6b5a vault:1.1.2 "docker-entrypoint.s…" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) 8200/tcp remediate_vault.1.k0jgyxxi45ldn4pqadhgvjf0o 11b90d8564ef gcr.io/puppet-discovery/identity:<version> "/opt/jboss/tools/do…" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) 8080/tcp, 8443/tcp remediate_identity.1.b1wkt4kx4ps107949k14ctsqx 1235fd27cbdc gcr.io/puppet-discovery/frontdoor:<version> "nginx -g 'daemon of…" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) 80/tcp remediate_frontdoor.1.oib8jsr7u4z6wqxvjz02mxcxz a3a641af5269 gcr.io/puppet-discovery/pdp-proxy:<version> "/pdp-proxy-svc" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) 9200/tcp remediate_export.1.uin509pnc2zb4pf3rdjr1so0x c60250b8a2eb gcr.io/puppet-discovery/node-ui:<version> "/usr/src/app/entryp…" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes (healthy) remediate_ui.1.3u0tewgou7t4hz2c46nn4mydo f9af99dc9ca7 gcr.io/puppet-discovery/edge:<version> "/edge-svc" 3 minutes ago Up 3 minutes 9997/tcp remediate_edge.1.koacwnjoce2tabwcbi73619fu 149485b54fec gcr.io/puppet-discovery/controller:<version> "/controller-svc" 4 minutes ago Up 4 minutes (healthy) 9999/tcp remediate_controller.1.mww2fm9up4lmeisjorul89hr4 f9f1ab4a029d gcr.io/puppet-discovery/vr:<version> "/vr-svc" 4 minutes ago Up 4 minutes (healthy) remediate_vr.1.yjlliup91g4mac1bklvvw2nqq
To access Remediate on a local workstation,
the URL is
https://localhost:8443, or port
8443on the host where you installed Remediate.Note: When you first open the site, a warning message is displayed that indicates the site certificate is untrusted. This is because Remediate uses a self-signed certificate and is expected behavior. Accept the certificate to continue.
- Read and accept the software license agreement.
Sign in to Remediate.
For default usernames and passwords, see Managing user access.