- Application groups
- Creating an application group
- Managing an application group
- Environment groups
- Create an environment group
- Delete an environment group
- Managing an environment group
- Application group snapshots
- Create a snapshot
- Deploying a snapshot
Application groups (app groups) allow you to build a grouping of dependent applications and create a specific snapshot of the app group for executing coordinated deployments.
The image below depicts the applications and dependencies in a small app group named Full_Stack.
In the above image you can interpret:
- Applications ipv6-4 and redis (at bottom) are dependencies of SimpleApp2
- Application SimpleApp2 is a dependency of eCommerce
- Application eCommerce is a dependency of test1
From this view you can also see:
- Application SimpleApp2 last build failed
- Application redis has never had a successful build or release
Creating an application group
Note: You must have at least two applications set up before you can create an application group.
To create an app group:
- Navigate to applications by clicking the Applications link at the top of the page.
- On the right, in the Applications Groups box, click Create Group link.
- Enter an app group name.
- Click Create Application Group button.
A dialog box will open from the right.
You have created an app group.
Managing an application group
Application groups (app groups) allow you to build a grouping of dependent applications, and create a specific snapshot of the app group for executing coordinated deployments.
Adding an application to an app group
- To add applications to an app group, click Add an Application while viewing the app group.
- You will be presented with a dialog box, where you can select all the applications you want to include in this app group. Select them now.
- When you are done, click Add Application.
Removing an application from an app group
- To remove an application from an app group, click the Remove from Group icon.
- Then click Leave Group.
Adding app group dependencies
- To add a dependency of an application, click the dependency tree icon on the application you wish to add the dependency to.
- Next, click Add Dependencies. You will be provided with a list of app group applications that are valid as a dependency of this application.
- Check the apps you wish to be a dependency of this application.
- Click Add Dependencies to choose your dependency/dependencies.
Removing app group dependencies
- To remove an app group dependency, click the Dependencies icon on the application you wish to remove a dependency from.
- Click the Red X to remove a dependency.
Each application in an app group may have 0 or more application environments for doing deployments. An environment group is a grouping of application environments for enabling coordinated deployments of snapshots.
Here is an environment group called dev.
Create an environment group
- Navigate to the app group you wish to create an environment group for.
- In the Environment Groups box click the Create Env Group link.
- Enter a name for the environment group.
- Click Create Environment Group.
A dialog box will open on the right.
You have created an environment group.
Delete an environment group
To delete an environment group, click the trash can icon.
Managing an environment group
An environment groups is a grouping of enviornments to facilitate a coordintated deploy of an app group.
After creating an environment group, you will need to manage the application environments that make up the environment group.
Adding an environment to an environment group
- To add an environment to an environment group, click the Add Environment + icon.
- Select the application environments you wish to add to this environment group.
- Click Add Environment.
You will be provided with a list of available environments to add to the environment group.
You have added environment(s) to your environment group.
Removing an environment from an environment group
- To remove an environment from an environment group, click the Remove Environment icon.
- Select the application environments you wish to remove from this environment group.
- Click Remove Environments.
You will be provided with a list of existing environments to remove from the environment group.
Application group snapshots
An application group snapshot is a “point in time” snapshot of the applications that make up an app group, and the specific release (version) of each application that makes up this snapshot. Snapshots are immutable: they last forever and can not be deleted.
This snapshot represents a March Release consisting of the following five dependent applications:
- eCommerce release v1
- ipv6-4 release v3
- redis release v1
- SimpleApp2 releease v4
- test1 release v12
You can do a coordinated deploy of app group snapshots.
Create a snapshot
To create a snapshot:
Note: You must have at least one application in your app group, and the application must have at least one prior release.
- Navigate to the application group you wish to snapshot.
- In the Snapshot box, click Create Snapshot link.
- For each application, click Select Release and choose the release version for this snapshot.
- Click Create Snapshot when you are done.
Select the release version for each dependent applications in the application group.
Optional Description - This description is key to helping you identify the release. Enter a useful description representing this snapshot. (i.e. April Release).
Set all Apps to Latest Release - Clicking this button will set all the app group applications snapshot release to their latest release version, for this snapshot.
Select Source Snapshot - This section, on the right, will allow you to select an existing snapshot to populate the applications release versions.
You have created a snapshot.
Deploying a snapshot
A deploy of an application group snapshot is also known as a coordinated deploy. The app group applications are deployed in a hierarchical method that ensures dependencies are deployed in order of dependency.
To deploy a snapshot:
Note: You must have created an app group snapshot, and have an app group environment group to deploy to, before you can deploy a snapshot.
- Navigate to the application group you wish to deploy a snapshot of.
- In the list of snapshots, locate the snapshot you wish to deploy and click the rocket icon to the right.
- Select the app group environment group that you wish to deploy the snapshot to.
- Click the Go to Overview button.
- When you are ready to begin the deploy, click the Deploy Snapshot button.
If you'd like to edit the environment groups chosen, click Modify Environment Groups.
From the above page, you can monitor the app group deployments.