These are the new features, resolved issues, and deprecations in this version of Facter.
Released 16 February 2021 and shipped with Puppet Platform 7.4.1.
This release includes minor maintenance changes. For the latest features, see the release notes for Facter 3.14.50.
Released 9 February 2021 and shipped with Puppet Platform 7.4.0.
Networking fact improvements for AIX. The AIX networking resolver now uses FFI to detect networking interfaces and IPs. Previously, VLANs and secondary IPs were not displayed. FACT-2878
Improved performance for blocking
legacyfacts. This release improves the performance of blocking legacy facts by implementing a different mechanism. The new mechanism does not allow legacy groups to be overriden by a group with the same name in
fact-groups. If you add a legacy group in
fact-groups, it is ignored. The new implementation is faster for use cases involving multiple custom facts that depend on core facts. FACT-2917
Facter::Core::Executiondoes not set status variables in Facter 4. This release reimplements
Facter error message —
no implicit conversion of nil into String— when determining processor speed on Linux. Facter now handles processor speed values where
log10is not set (3, 6, 9, 12). FACT-2927
Facter fails "closed" if the facter.conf file is invalid. Previously, Facter failed when an invalid config file was provided. Facter now logs a warning message stating that the parsing of the config file failed and continues retrieving facts with the default options. FACT-2924
Domain on Windows does not prioritise registry. Facter now prioritises information from registry on Windows, instead of network interface domain names. FACT-2923
LinuxMint Tessa not recognized. Previously, the
os.releasefact was retrieved from the
/etc/os-releasefile, but Facter 3 read other release files based on operating system (OS). Now Facter retrieves
os.releasefrom the specific release file for every OS. FACT-2921
Released 20 January 2021 and shipped with Puppet Platform 7.3.0.
Aggregate facts are broken. Previously, Facter broke when trying to add a debug message for the location where aggregate facts are resolved from. This only happened with aggregate facts that returned an array or hash without having an aggregate block call. FACT-2919
Released 20 January 2021.
Rewritten tests for Linux networking resolver. This release refactors the Linux networking resolver, including fixing the unit tests and adding new ones. FACT-2901
Facter 4.0.x does not return the domain correctly when set in the registry. Previously, Facter did not retrieve the domain correctly on Linux and resulted in a faulty FQDN facts. Facter also failed to retrieve domain facts when Windows did not expose the host's primary DNS suffix. This is now fixed. FACT-2882
Legacy group blocks processors core fact. Blocking legacy facts no longer blocks processors core fact. FACT-2911
Facter Hocon output format. The --hocon option now functions as intended. FACT-2909
Legacy blockdevice vendor and size facts not resolving. This release fixes
blockdevice_*_sizefacts not resolving on AIX, and
blockdevice_*_vendorfacts not resolving on Linux and Solaris. FACT-2903
Facter detects OS family without checking or translating the information. Previously, Facter detected the OS family by reading
/etc/os-releasewithout checking or translating the information. This is now fixed and Facter translates the
/etc/os-releaseto Facter known families. FACT-2902
Released 15 December 2020 and shipped with Puppet Platform 7.1.0.
scope6fact for per binding. This release adds the
scope6fact under every ipv6 address from the
- Support for AWS IMDSv2. This release
updates the EC2 fact to use IMDSv2 to authenticate. To use v2, set the
AWS_IMDSv2environment variable to
true. Note that the token is cached for a maximum of 100 seconds.
- Facter 4 does not resolve hostname facts.
Previously, Facter failed when
Socket.getaddrinfowas called, which prevented retrieval of FQDN information. This is now fixed. FACT-2894
Gem-based Facter 4 does not log the facts in debug mode. This release adds log messages for resolved fact values. FACT-2883
Gem-based Facter 4 does not return the complete FQDN. Previously, domain was not retrieved correctly on Linux based systems and resulted in a faulty FQDN fact. This release uses Ruby Socket methods to retrieve domain correctly. FACT-2882
Puppet 7 treats non existent facts differently to Puppet 6. This release excludes custom facts with nil value from
to_hashRuby Facter API's. The custom facts with nil value are still returned by
Facts failing on machines with VLANs. With this release,
dotsin legacy fact names are ignored. They are not used as an indicator of a fact hierarchy because legacy facts cannot compose and have a flat (key - value) structure. FACT-2870
Facter 4 changes
is_virtualfact from boolean to string. This release fixes a regression that caused the
is_virtualto be a string instead of a boolean. FACT-2869
External facts are loaded when using
puppet lookupfor a different node. The
load_externalAPI method was missing in Facter 4. This is now fixed. FACT-2859
Facter fails when the interface name is not UTF-8. Previously, a pointer used to indicate networking information was being released by the GC too early and the memory was overridden, resulting in inconsistent data. The fix extends the scope of the pointer so that the memory it points to does not release prematurely. FACT-2856
Failure when a structured custom fact has the wrong layout. This release adds a log message when custom fact names are incompatible and a fact hierarchy cannot be created. FACT-2851
- Cannot retrieve local facts error. This release fixes an error thrown on systems with a low file descriptor limit. FACT-2898
- Dig method fails on Puppet
$facts.The Facter 4 API method
to_hashreturned a different data type to Facter 3. This release ensures the
to_hashmethod returns a Ruby Hash instance. FACT-2897
- Facter fails when trying to retrieve ssh facts. Facter now skips reading ssh keys it does not recognise. FACT-2896
- Missing primary interface check on all platforms. Similar to Facter 3, this release adds a final check that detects the primary interface from the IP. Localhost IPs are excluded. FACT-2892
- Facter 4.0.46 breaks virtual flag.
Facter now checks whether the
/proc/lve/listfile is a regular file, instead of checking if it is executable. FACT-2891
- Facter 4.0.46 does not load external fact files in lexicographical order. This is now fixed. FACT-2874
- Secondary interfaces are not reported.
Networking.interfacesnow display secondary interfaces (with or without the label) and the
VLANs.MACaddress is correctly displayed for bonded interfaces. If DHCP is not found, use the
dhcpcd -U <interface_name>command to search. FACT-2872
Deprecations and removals
Update rake task for generating facts and tests. The scripts used to generate facts were outdated and had never been used. This release removes them. FACT-2298
Released 19 November 2020 and shipped with Puppet Platform 7.4.1.
- Operating system hierarchy. Facter 4 introduces a hierarchy for operating systems. The hierarchy allows you to load facts from the child and all parents. If the same fact is present in a child and a parent, the one from the child takes precedence. FACT-2555
- Rake task for mapping fact name and fact class. To improve the visibility of which facts are loaded for an operating system, Facter 4 has a rake task that prints all facts and the class that resolved that fact. FACT-2557
- Blocklist. Facter 4 allows you to block facts at a granular level — you can block any fact from the fact hierarchy, for both groups of facts and individual facts. FACT-1976
- Block legacy facts. Legacy facts are a subtype of core facts and you can
now block them, like any core fact, using the
- Block custom facts.
Facter 4 allows you to block custom facts. You
can add the fact to the
- Block external facts.
Facter 4 allows you to block external facts.
Blocking external facts is different from blocking core and custom facts — you
need to specify the name of the file from which external facts are loaded to
- The puppet facts show command. The
facter --puppetcommands have been replaced with puppet facts show. FACT-2719
- Group for legacy facts. The legacy group contains all the legacy facts.
You can find it in
lib/facter/config.rband can block it in
fact-groupsgroup. You can define your own custom groups in
facter.confusing the new
facter.confaccept predefined groups, custom groups or fact names. You must use the file name when using external facts. FACT-2331
- Define fact groups for blocking or caching. You can define new fact
facter.conf, and use the group to block or cache facts. FACT-2515
- External fact caching. To cache external facts, use the filename of the
external fact when setting the
- CLI compatible with Facter 3.
Facter 4 reimplemented the Facter 3 command line interface using
- Loaded facts based on operating system hierarchy. To improve performance, Facter 4 only loads the files and facts that are needed for the operating system it is running on. FACT-2093
- Log class name in log messages. Improved logging in Facter 4 prints the class from which the log was generated. FACT-2036
--timingoption to native facter. The restored
-targuments allow you to see how much time it took each fact to resolve. FACT-1380
- (Experimental). Reverted parallel resolution of facts. To improve performance, facts are resolved in parallel on JRuby. FACT-2819
- Timeout on resolution. You can now specify the
timeoutattribute in custom fact options. FACT-2643
core facts . To cache core facts, add the fact group to
ttls. Fact values are stored and retrieved on future runs. After the
ttlsexpires, the fact is refreshed. FACT-2486
- Fix Ruby 2.7 warning on Facter 4. Facter 4 now supports Ruby 2.7. FACT-2649
- Facter does not support timeout for shell
calls. External commands have a timeout, and if they do not complete in
the given time, they are forced stop. The default timeout is 300 seconds. You
can now specify a timeout using the
- Fact names are treated as
regexand can lead to caching of unwanted facts. The
regexused to detect facts has been improved to distinguish between fact groups and legacy facts. FACT-2787
- Facter uptime shows host uptime inside docker container. Previously, the kernel only reported the host uptime inside a Docker container. You can now see the container uptime. FACT-2737
- A fact present in two groups does not get cached if the second groups has a
ttls. If a fact is present in two groups, and both of them have a
facter.conf, the lowest
ttlsis takes precedence. FACT-2786