PE version 2019.2 complies with Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 standards. Both the express and text install methods can be used to install a FIPS-compliant PE master on FIPS-compliant platforms.
The cryptographic modules included in Puppet Enterprise version 2019.2 are compliant with FIPS 140-2 and fully operable on the FIPS-compliant platforms listed below.
|PE component||FIPS-compliant platforms|
|Master||Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 in FIPS mode|
|Agents||Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(RHEL) 7 in FIPS mode
Windows Server 2012 R2 and newer versions in FIPS mode
Windows 10 in FIPS mode
For general information about FIPS and more on the updates made to PE to ensure FIPS compliance, see PE and FIPS compliance.
Installing a FIPS-compliant PE master
- Running Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 in FIPS mode
- Configured with good sources of entropy (see the Red Hat blog post on Entropy in RHEL for more information)Important: The installation process will fail on a node that lacks sufficient available entropy.
Installing FIPS-compliant PE agents
- Windows 10 in FIPS mode
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and newer versions in FIPS mode
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 in FIPS mode
If you wish to classify a FIPS-compliant PE agent as a compiler, the agent must be configured with good sources of entropy (see the Red Hat blog post on Entropy in RHEL for more information).
Limitations and cautions for FIPS-compliant installations
- Upgrading from non-FIPS-compliant versions of PE to FIPS-compliant PE version 2019.2 is not supported.
- FIPS-compliant PE version 2019.2 includes PostgreSQL version 9.6.
- High availability configurations are not supported for FIPS-compliant PE version 2019.2.
- FIPS-compliant PE does not support Razor, and the
pe-razor-serverpackage is not included in the installation tarball for FIPS-compliant PE.
- Due to a known issue with the
puppet dbcommands fail with SSL handshake errors when run on FIPS-enabled hardware. To use
puppet dbcommands on a FIPS-enabled machine, install the puppetdb_cli Ruby gem. To use
puppet codecommands on a FIPS-enabled machine, use the Code Manager API.