The express install of PE is ideal for trying out PE with up to 10 nodes and can be used to manage up to 4,000 nodes.
On a single *nix machine, you install:
- The Puppet master, the central hub of activity, where Puppet code is compiled to create agent catalogs, and where SSL certificates are verified and signed.
- The console, PE's web interface, which features numerous configuration and reporting tools.
- PuppetDB, which collects data generated throughout your Puppet infrastructure.
Step 1: Review installation prerequisites on your Linux server
Before getting started, review this checklist to make sure you're ready to install PE.
Be aware that you must work as the
rootuser on the command line throughout the installation process.
Make sure you meet the hardware recommendations for 10 or fewer nodes.
You can download and install Puppet Enterprise on up to 10 nodes at no charge.
Make sure that DNS is properly configured on the
server you're installing on.
All nodes must know their own hostnames, which you can achieve by properly configuring reverse DNS on your local DNS server, or by setting the hostname explicitly. Setting the hostname usually involves the
hostnamecommand and one or more configuration files, but the exact method varies by platform.
All nodes must be able to reach each other by name, which you can achieve with a local DNS server.
Know the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the
server you're installing PE on, for example,
Step 2: Prepare your Windows System
Some extra software is necessary so that you can communicate and work between your Windows and Linux machines.
Step 3: Install the master on your Linux machine
These steps show you how to use a Windows machine to install a Puppet master on a Linux server.
Open the SSH client, and enter the hostname or IP
address and port of the Linux machine that you
want to use as your master. You can then open an SSH session to the master.
When prompted in the terminal, log into the Linux node as the
Download the PE
installer to the server that you intend to use as your master by copying the
appropriate download URL from the downloads page and running:
wget --content-disposition '<DOWNLOAD_URL>'
Run the following command to unpack the
tar -xf <TARBALL>Note: You need about 1 GB of space.
Change directories to the installer directory, and
run the installer:
- When prompted, select express install mode.
After installation completes, follow the prompts
to specify a password, or run:
puppet infrastructure console_password --password=<MY_PASSWORD>
Run Puppet twice:
puppet agent -t.You must restart the shell before you can use PE client tool subcommands.
Log into the PE console
The console is a graphical interface that allows you to manage parts your PE infrastructure without relying on the command line.
Log in for the first time.
- When you navigate to the hostname of the master in your browser, you'll receive a browser warning about an untrusted certificate. This is because you were the signing authority for the console's certificate, and your Puppet Enterprise deployment is not known to your browser as a valid signing authority. Ignore the warning and accept the certificate.
On the login page for the console, log in with the
adminand the password you created when installing the Puppet master. Keep track of this login as you will use it later.