In this section, you'll use the console to add a class to your Puppet agent. Classes are named chunks of Puppet code that are stored in modules. The class you assign in this exercise is derived from the module you installed previously.
wsus_client module contains a class called
wsus_client. In this exercise, you'll use the
wsus_client class to supply the types and providers necessary to schedule updates using a WSUS server with Puppet.
To prepare the class, you create a group called
windows_example and add the
wsus_client class to it.
Step 1: Create the
To classify a node is to add classification data (classes, parameters, and variables) for the node group to the node.
These instructions assume you have installed PE, at least one Windows agent node, and the
- In the PE console, click Nodes> Classification, and click Add group.
- In the Group name field, name your group, for example,
windows_example, and click Add.
- Click Add membership rules, classes, and variables.
- On the Rules tab, in the Certname field, enter the name of the managed node you want to add to this group, and click Pin node.Repeat this step for any additional nodes you want to add.Note: Pinning a node adds the node to the group regardless of any rules specified for a node group. A pinned node remains in the node group until you manually remove it. Adding nodes dynamically describes how to use rules to add nodes to a node group.
- Commit your changes.
Step 2: Add the
wsus_client class to the example group
Adding the class to the group and then running Puppet configures the group to use that class.
- In the console, click Classification, and find and select the
- On the Configuration tab, in the Add new class field, select
wsus_clientdoesn't appear in the list, you might have to click Refresh.
- Click Add class, and commit changes.
wsus_clientclass now appears in the list of classes for your agent node.
- Puppet runs, which configures the
windows_ examplegroup using the newly-assigned class. Wait one or two minutes.