puppet job show command to view running or completed orchestration jobs.
If you're running this command from a managed or non-managed Windows workstation, you must specify the full path to the command. For example,
c:\Program Files\Puppet Labs\Client\bin\puppet-task run.
Additionally, you can view a list of jobs or view the details of jobs that have previously run or are in progress from the Job details page in the PE console.
- To check the status of a running or completed job, use the following command:
puppet job show <job ID>
The command returns the following:
- The status of the job (running, completed, or failed).
- The start (and finish) time.
- The elapsed time or duration of the run.
- The user who ran the job.
- The environment the job ran in if you set the environment.
- The target specified for the job.
- Whether no-op mode was enforced.
- The number of nodes in the job.
- The job description, if set.
- To view a list of running and completed jobs, up to 50 maximum (the concurrency limit), ordered by timestamp, use the following command:
puppet job show
Viewing jobs triggered without the puppet job command
If you run any orchestrator jobs through the console or the orchestrator API , the
puppet job show command will also print those jobs.
You can use the
puppet job show command with or without a job ID.
puppet job show ID STATUS TIMESTAMP USER NODES TARGET ------------------------------------------------------------------ 238 Running Jul-02 9:15:15 <API user> 8 query 239 Running Jul-02 9:15:22 <API user> 3 ?? 240 Running Jul-02 9:15:15 <Job run user> 100 all *environment not enforced on a per node basis
The enforce_environment option
enforce_environment option is an option on the
/command/ API endpoint. By default
enforce_environment is set to
true, which means agent nodes are forced to run in the same environment in which their configured applications are defined. If set to false, agent nodes will run in whatever environment they are classified in or assigned to. API jobs may not have an environment specified. If a job has no environment specified, agent node run ordering is not specified by applications.