Much like Puppet Enterprise (PE), Continuous Delivery for PE should be installed in a central location by an administrator. Installing Continuous Delivery for PE requires you to pull and run a Docker container, then follow our guided setup to create the root account and configure your installation.
- Continuous Delivery for PE is delivered as a Docker container. Pull down the latest version by running:
docker pull puppet/continuous-delivery-for-puppet-enterprise:latest
- Run the image with the command appropriate to your database infrastructure, replacing the options with the appropriate values, as per the instructions below.For MySQL:
For Amazon DynamoDB:
docker run --rm --name cdpe -e DB_ENDPOINT=<MY_DATABASE_ENDPOINT> -e DB_USER=<MY_DB_USERNAME> -e DB_PASS=<MY_DB_PASS> -e DB_PREFIX=<OPTINAL_PREFIX_TO_DB_TABLES> -e DUMP_URI=<DUMP_URI> -e PFI_SECRET_KEY=<KEY_FOR_DB_SECRETS_ENCRYPTION> -p 8080:8080 -p 8000:8000 -p 7000:7000 puppet/continuous-delivery-for-puppet-enterprise:latest
docker run --rm --name cdpe -e DB_ENDPOINT=ddb://<AWS_REGION> -e DB_USER=<AWS_ACCESS_KEY> -e DB_PASS=<AWS_SECRET_KEY> -e DUMP_URI=<DUMP_URI> -e PFI_SECRET_KEY=<KEY_FOR_DB_SECRETS_ENCRYPTION> -p 8080:8080 -p 8000:8000 -p 7000:7000 puppet/continuous-delivery-for-puppet-enterprise:latest
- A friendly name you give to the running image. We used
cdpein the example above.
ddb://endpoint used to connect to your database. For example,
- For MySQL: Login credentials for your MySQL user. For security purposes, the database user you select should only be able to connect to this database.
- For Amazon DynamoDB: Access and secret keys for your DynamoDB user. Important: Make sure you generate credentials with full create, read, update, and delete permissions for DynamoDB resources.For security purposes, the database user you select should only be able to connect to this database.
- When starting up, Continuous Delivery for PE creates tables in MySQL or DynamoDB. If you'd like the tables to share a prefix, such as
cdpe-, enter it here.Tip: If you wish to simulate a fresh installation of a given version of Continuous Delivery for PE, entering a new database table prefix will cause all the database tables to regenerate.
- How to address port 7000 of this container, which is the endpoint used by the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI to connect to the correct instance of the Continuous Delivery agent service. In a typical installation, this value is
- A 16-byte secret key used for AES encryption of secrets (such as PE access tokens) supplied to Continuous Delivery for PE.
- If you're a *nix user, generate this key by running:
If you're a Windows user, generate this key by running:
dd bs=1 if=/dev/urandom count=16 2>/dev/null | base64
$randomBytes = New-Object Byte(16) [Security.Cryptography.RNGCryptoServiceProvider]::Create().GetBytes($randomBytes) $encodedBytes = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String($randomBytes)
-p 8080:8080 -p 8000:8000 -p 7000:7000
- The three ports used by Continuous Delivery for PE for the web UI (8080), the backend service (8000), and the agent service (7000). You can map these ports to any port of your choosing.
- When the Docker container is up and running, you'll see a
- Point your web browser to
localhost:8080to access the Continuous Delivery for PE web UI. Click Get Started.
- Follow the prompts to configure your installation. You'll be asked to:
Select the email address and password that will be associated with the root account.Note: The root account is used for installing and configuring your organization's Continuous Delivery for PE instance.
Configure the endpoints Continuous Delivery for PE services will be available on.Important: For production-grade systems supporting multiple Continuous Delivery for PE users, configure these services to point to the DNS endpoints of load balancers. This is especially vital if you plan to run multiple container replicas of Continuos Delivery for PE.
Integrate your external storage (Amazon S3 or Artifactory) by adding credentials.
Upload a Continuous Delivery for PE license file. See Generate a license for instructions on creating a free 30-day trial license.
- When configuration is complete, you'll see a success message. Click Create your user account to sign out of the root account.
Now that Continuous Delivery for PE is installed, move on to these next steps: