PAM release notes
These are the new features, enhancements, resolved issues, and deprecations for Puppet Application Manager.
Follow the instructions in Upgrading Puppet Application Manager to get the current version.
25 August 2021 (Puppet Application Manager 1.49.0)
- Component upgrades to address CVEs. To address various CVEs, this version includes an upgrade of Kubernetes to 1.19.13, an upgrade of Project Contour to 1.18.0, and an upgrade of Velero to 1.6.2.
- Goldpinger. High availability architectures now include Goldpinger, which aids the debugging of network issues.
containerd upgrade. This version includes an upgrade of containerd to
version 1.4.6, and removes the need to use the
force-reapply-addonsoption when upgrading.
- Other component upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of KOTS to version 1.49.0, an upgrade of ekco to 0.11.0, an upgrade of Prometheus to 0.49.0, and an upgrade of Rook to 1.5.12.
30 June 2021 (Puppet Application Manager 1.44.1)
- Certificate auto-rotation for standalone architecture. Certificates are now automatically rotated for the Kubernetes API and Puppet Application Manager UI in the standalone architecture. With this change, certificate auto-rotation is now supported in all Puppet Application Manager architectures.
- Rook upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of Rook in the high availability architecture to 1.5.11 and the version of Rook in the legacy architecture to 1.0.4-14.2.21. These upgrades address a vulnerability in Ceph components (CVE-2021-20288).
- Prometheus upgrade. This version includes an upgrade of Prometheus in the high availability and legacy architectures to 0.48.1. Additionally, Prometheus disk usage is now limited in order to preserve the storage space required for the usage charts on the Application tab.
- Other component upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of KOTS to version 1.44.1, an upgrade of Project Contour to version 1.15.1, and an upgrade of Weave to version 2.8.1.
- Snapshots can now successfully use the Other S3-Compatible
Storage option as the storage destination.
To apply this update, add the
force-reapply-addonsoption during upgrade. For example:
curl <url> | bash -s force-reapply-addons
26 May 2021
New in this release:
- runC. The version of runC has been upgraded to v1.0.0-rc95 to address CVE-2021-30465.
Known issues in this release:
- Running the KOTS installer with the
kurl-registry-ipflags results in an error.
As a workaround (if you do not have any applications already installed in the cluster), delete the registry service, recreate the registry service IP and then re-run the installation script with the
10 May 2021 (Puppet Application Manager 1.40.0)
- Distinct architectures for standalone and high availability deployments of
the Puppet Application Manager platform. Standalone supports
lower system requirements and resolves inherent flaws in using Ceph on a single node. High availability uses
an updated version of Rook for faster, more
reliable distributed storage.Note: It is not possible currently to upgrade to these architectures from existing installations. However, migrating applications between them is on the roadmap for a future release.
- The previous architecture is maintained as the legacy configuration. This
version includes an upgrade of Kubernetes to
1.19.10; this upgrade process upgrades through Kubernetes 1.18, and happens on all nodes. It
can take ~1 hour to do for a 3-node cluster, and requires confirmations
during that period. It also includes an upgrade of Project Contour to version 1.14.1, adds Metrics Server 0.4.1, an upgrade of ekco to 0.10.1, and an upgrade of Prometheus to 2.26.0.
For more information on legacy upgrades, see PAM legacy upgrades.
15 April 2021 (Puppet Application Manager 1.38.0)
- Snapshots. Puppet Application Manager now supports full (instance-level) snapshots, which can be used for application rollbacks and disaster recovery. For more information, see Backing up Puppet Application Manager using snapshots.
- Component upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of KOTS to version 1.38.0.
17 February 2021 (Puppet Application Manager 1.29.3)
- Support for Ubuntu 20.04. You can now run Puppet Application Manager on Ubuntu 20.04.
- Component upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of Prometheus to version 2.22.1 and Prometheus Operator to version 0.44.1, an upgrade of KOTS to version 1.29.3, an upgrade of Project Contour to version 1.12.0, and an upgrade of ekco to version 0.10.0.
3 February 2021 (Puppet Application Manager 1.29.2)
Component upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of KOTS to version 1.29.2, an upgrade of Project Contour to version 1.11.0, and an
containerdto version 1.4.3.
- During their initial preflight checks, new installations now pull images
successfully and no longer report a
Failed to pull imageerror.
7 December 2020
Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 8 and CentOS 8. You can now run Puppet Application Manager on RHEL version 8 and CentOS version 8. To support
containerdis now used independently of Docker during the installation process.
- Component upgrades. This version includes an upgrade of Kubernetes to version 1.17.13.