The OpenStack Summit has quickly become one of the biggest open source events worldwide. More than 2,400 attended this year's event, held last week in Portland. You could feel a lot of energy and excitement around this cloud infrastructure ecosystem during the conference - and there was also a lot of buzz around how Puppet helps automate public, private and hybrid clouds. If you're not familiar with OpenStack, this video will be a good introduction to why it's called the "de facto standard cloud infrastructure platform." A community - and lots of innovation - have formed up around OpenStack, which is a growing, common set of APIs that connect a diverse ecosystem of different hardware vendors. Puppet Labs was on the scene with our video camera in hand, interviewing OpenStack community members about the importance of cloud automation, configuration management, and how people are using Puppet in their OpenStack deployments. Dan Bode of Puppet Labs talks about leading the writing of the OpenStack Puppet integration modules with other community members, including Cisco, Red Hat, Rackspace, Morphlabs and eNovance. He offers a brief overview of these modules and how they're being used. Boris Renski, a board member at OpenStack Foundation, talks about how Mirantis is using Puppet within their FUEL library of configuration and deployment tools that was just released at the summit. Renski points out that though cost savings are a primary driver for converting to an OpenStack infrastructure, it's far from the only reason. Another huge driver: the ability to do continuous integration and continuous delivery on a consistent infrastructure platform so web and SaaS applications can more quickly deliver new features. Here are a few highlights from other OpenStack Summit interviews:
- Christopher Aedo, whose company Morphlabs contributed to the OpenStack/Puppet integrations, talks about the importance of automation and configuration management on a cloud platform.
- Harsh Singh talks about Juniper Networks' integrations with OpenStack and Puppet, and how automation is changing the networking landscape.
- Red Hat's Perry Myers talks about Red Hat's Distribution of OpenStack (RDO) and how it uses Puppet for configuration management.
- Microsoft's Peter Pouliot talks about how he uses Puppet to develop the CI infrastructure that supports the Hyper-V integration with OpenStack.
- Roman Alekseenkov of Mirantis talks about how they automate their OpenStack deployments with Puppet, as well as how they configure a Highly Available cloud topology.
- Jim O'Neill talks about how HubSpot is moving different workloads from the public cloud to their own private, OpenStack cloud.
- VMware's Scott Lowe talks about VMWare integrations with OpenStack.
- Red Hat's Ryan Jarvinen talks about how OpenShift can be put on top of an OpenStack infrastructure to deploy applications.