Amazon Machine Images include Puppet and Facter
As announced by AWS last week, the latest version of the Amazon AMI now includes Puppet 2.6.6 and Facter 1.5.9 (release notes). Accompanying the announcement AWS released a white paper outlining steps to integrate AWS CloudFormation and Puppet. The white paper demonstrates:
- Installing and securely configuring the Puppet Master
- Automating the install of Facter
- Customizing provided Puppet Agent templates to fit your infrastructure
- Automating install of Puppet Agent
- Adding the Puppet Agent to an Auto Scaling Group (Read more on that in Rapid scaling with auto-generated AMIs using Puppet)
Puppet's inclusion in the Amazon Machine Image comes riding on a wave of cooperation between AWS and Puppet Labs. Puppet Labs is now a member of the AWS Solution Providers Program, and AWS technical evangelist, Jinesh Varia, presenting on Puppet and CloudFormation at PuppetConf, Puppet's annual user conference.