As announced by AWS last week, the latest version of the Amazon AMI now includes Puppet 2.6.6 and Facter 1.5.9 (release notes). Accompanying the announcement AWS released a white paper outlining steps to integrate AWS CloudFormation and Puppet. The white paper demonstrates:
- Installing and securely configuring the Puppet Master
- Automating the install of Facter
- Customizing provided Puppet Agent templates to fit your infrastructure
- Automating install of Puppet Agent
- Adding the Puppet Agent to an Auto Scaling Group (Read more on that in Rapid scaling with auto-generated AMIs using Puppet)
Puppet's inclusion in the Amazon Machine Image comes riding on a wave of cooperation between AWS and Puppet Labs. Puppet Labs is now a member of the AWS Solution Providers Program, and AWS technical evangelist, Jinesh Varia, presenting on Puppet and CloudFormation at PuppetConf, Puppet's annual user conference.